In the Basics of Grilling, I mentioned using high heat for grilling. For most of my recipes, this is the temperature I use since it keeps things simple. There will be times, however, when you will need to lower the temperature, such as when cooking ribs. The following chart is from The Barbecue Bible by Steve Raichlen.
In using this chart, hold your hand palm down about 3-5 inches above the grill gate and count the seconds until the heat forces you to move your hand.
- 1 second Very Hot 650 degrees
- 3 seconds Hot 600 degrees This is the temperature I use the most
- 5 seconds Med. Hot 400 degrees
- 7 seconds Medium 350 degrees
- 10 seconds Med. Low 300 degrees
- 15 seconds Low 250 degrees
As always, keep notes on the temperature you used, as well as the cooking times so that you keep things simple and consistent. Remember, consistency will help you become Master of the Grill !